Tyre Safety - Make Sure Your Vehicle Is Safe
Tyres play a key role in your vehicle safety, tyres are the only contact between the vehicle and the road.
There are 3 tyres of tyres available
- Winter tyres- these are designed to bite into snow and ice
- Summer tyres – these are the most common tyres used in Ireland, the name is a term used to differentiate them from winter tyres.
- All season tyres – these are a cross between winter and summer tyres, these tyres work well on dry and wet roads.
An E-mark on a tyre confirms that the tyre meets International or EU standards in terms of dimensions, load and speed rating. The tyres with an E-mark have been tested to ensure tread depth and performance ability.
To ensure that your tyres are maintained you should ensure the following
- Correct pressure – You will find the inflation specification in the vehicles owners handbook.
- Wheel alignment – Wheel alignment can maximize tyre life, wheel alignment consists of adjusting the angles of the wheels so that they are perpendicular to the ground and parallel to each other
- Wheel balancing allows the tyres and wheels to spin without causing any vibrations.
Tyres must be the right size and kind for your car, be properly inflated and no defects. Sub-standard tyres reduce handling, you will have less control of your vehicle and your braking distance will be increased.
You must have a tread depth of at least 1.6mm on your vehicle.
If you have any questions feel free to contact us